Family and friends,
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society hosts an annual fundraising competition for the Man and Woman of the Year. This is an opportunity to champion fundraising on behalf of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the girl of the year nominee Bree Town.
- I was nominated for the West Michigan Man of the Year and I am in the running! With your help, my goal is to raise $30,000 in 10 weeks.
- The competition officially begins March 24 – June 2. Dollars can only be accepted during the 10-week timeframe, however, it is never too early to begin thinking about how you, the Leukemia & Lymphoma society, and I can join together and make a difference with this terrible disease.
- The grand finale ends with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Gala on Thursday, June 2, 2016 at the Frederik Meijer Gardens.
- More than 1.2 million people in the US are living with, or are in remission from blood cancer and every 10 minutes someone in the US dies from a blood cancer.
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society offers hope and is searching for a cure. Last year alone, LLS invested $79.8 million in cutting-edge research. Locally, in Michigan LLS is currently funding $5.28 million in research and in 2015 alone provided 692 Michigan patients with co-pay assistance totaling $1.43 million. Approximately 85% of every dollar raised from the Man & Women of The Year Campaign goes directly to the mission.
My life has been forever shaped by the devastating effects of blood cancer. When my brother and I were 5 & 9 we lived our lives being witness to my dad fight non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. We watched him scratch, claw, and battle the chemo and disease progression. We went from having a strong, funny, and vivacious dad, to a dad who had to walk with a walker, lost all of his strength and energy, and eventually lost his battle with NHL. My mom had to witness the slow decline of her husband and was a widow before any man or woman should ever be. We also had two uncles, Curt and Ken, who battled NHL. We now have a cousin who has a beautiful son Zander; who is in remission from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. My life both personally and professionally has been shaped by watching people around me fear and suffer because of blood cancers. LLS offers hope in a very concrete way, a cure IS coming and they need our help. Please join me in fighting the fight so this someday does not have to be someone else’s reality.
Another component to this competition includes a Girl of the Year. Participating contestants are paired with a boy and girl honoree. The men raise funds on behalf of the girl honoree and vice versa. Our girl of the year is Bree Town. Bree is a pre-teen young lady who has battled leukemia more than once; she has had several therapies, and has had a bone marrow transplant. She is currently in remission. Bree is a kind, funny, and caring young woman, and she is asking for our help for her own future and the future of others. Bree’s story here.
How You Can Help
There are few ways we are asking interested friends and family to join the fight!
- We are looking for financial commitments that fit your individual giving needs. We can help you with fundraising ideas, donation requests and even set up your own online fundraising page!
- There are many ways you or your company can participate in the Grand Finale Gala on June 2, 2016:
- Sponsor the event through a corporate sponsorship
- Donate or solicit for donations for the silent auction (each package should be ~$250 or more in value)
- Purchase tickets or a table at the gala
- We welcome volunteers! If you are unable to participate financially, we warmly welcome those who want to do the work and are currently unable to give.
- You may participate in our golf outing on April 30th at Gleneagle Golf Course in Hudsonville
- Solicit sponsors for holes, $150 per hole
- Gather a team
- We will have a par 3 hole in one give away graciously provided by Van Andel & Flikkema great prizes, lunch, and every participant will be given a free round of golf at Gleneagle!
The team and I are so excited to do this work. We want to partner with you to eradicate blood cancers. We all have a cancer story, why not make participating in fighting against cancer be part of your story. If you have any questions, clarifications, or want to contact us to help here is the information. If you wish to a send a check for donation we welcome your gift. You can make checks payable to:
Leukemia and Lymphoma society:
549 Ottawa Ave NW #307
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Memo area: MWOY Kirk
LLS’s TAX ID: 13-5644916
Follow the campaign and stay up-to-date by liking us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/championforacurells
Kirk Gates LLS Man of the Year Nominee- firstname.lastname@example.org or 616.813.6789
Lindsay Syswerda Campaign Manager- Lindsay.email@example.com or 616.308.5301